Monday, September 06, 2004

The Recovery Continues. . .

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. economy added 144,000 jobs in August and the unemployment rate fell to 5.4%, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job figures for June and July were also revised upward to 96,000 and 73,000 respectively, a net increase of 59,000. Overall, 1.7 million new jobs have been created over the past 12 months.

This is from "Americans for Tax Reform" at: http://www.atr.org/pressreleases/2004/pr_augustjobs-9-3-04.htm

Enjoy!

3 comments:

OlDad said...

Mew, check the numbers. Despite the propaganda to the contrary, the jobs that are being created are not all at starbucks.

Do you think Kerry's proposed policies will do better? Increasing taxes does not encourage growth.

OlDad said...

Here's the data. I think the WSJ ran an article on or about 14 August, about this topic. Needless to say I could not find it. . .

I think most economists agree that the economy is growing. The disagreement is in the strength of the recovery. Of course Republicans will see a stronger recovery than Democrats see (or admit to seeing).

OlDad said...

You hit on the one part of W's economic policy that worries me most. I think he's spending too much. Too many new entitlements, and program expansions. If it were up to me, we'd all be making sacrifices for the war effort. If there's a problem with Bush's policy it's that he has not curbed domestic spending enough to suit me. Ha! I found something we agree on. I knew it would happen eventually!